Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Long Distance Drunks


Long Distance Drunks: A Tribute to Charles Bukowski was released last Sunday, on the twentieth anniversary of the man's death.  It features my story 'The Market-Frankford Line', plus a poem I wrote in '06.  It's available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble in paperback and ebook.

I'd had the idea for 'The Market-Frankford Line' for a while.  I knew it was a bit of a deviation from my usual material, but I felt it was a story that needed to be told.  When the folks at Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing (who'd recently purchased my story 'The Truth' for their Vonnegut tribute) announced that they were compiling a book dedicated to Bukowski, I thought it sounded like a good excuse to get it down.

I decided to employ some Bukowskian methods for the execution.  One rainy Saturday afternoon, I sat down with some cheap wine, classical music on the speakers (I think Beethoven, or maybe Mozart), and wrote the whole thing in one sitting.  A year later, here we are.

It goes without saying that if you're a Bukowski fan, I think you'll dig this one.  However, those of you who are rolling your eyes at the drop of the man's name and picturing a chauvinistic circle-jerk: you're the ones I REALLY want to read it.  You might be surprised, and pleasantly at that.

Anyway, you be the judge.

1 comment: